Grandma Hanna's Caramel Pie




My Grandma and Grandaddy Hanna were very special people.  I was born 15 years after my sister Chasity and 10 years after my sister Penny.  Grandma and Grandaddy Hanna always felt like that I didn't get enough attention.  (Of course this was not the truth at all.)  I visited my grandparents often and spent the night with them all the time.  We would stay up to all hours of the night playing skip-bo and Mexican dominoes.  NOBODY could beat Grandaddy Hanna at Skip-bo.  I often think of the times that I spent with them and I am forever grateful to have had Grandma and Grandaddy Hanna in my life for 24 years.
Grandma Hanna was known for her rolls and caramel pie.  Well, to be honest, she was known for her cooking in general.  She was a fantastic cook.  Grandma Hanna always had something ready for you to eat when you got to her house.  I learned most of my cooking skills from her because she would always allow me to help!  When she went into the nursing home, my mother and I acquired her host of recipes.  I even got her iron skillet, which is what I remember her cooking with the most.
So here is her Caramel Pie recipe.  It is not for the amateur baker, but with practice you can make this pie.  You will need an iron skillet!  Get ready- and "tri" this!

Grandma Hanna's Caramel Pie
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons whipping cream
3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups milk
3 small egg yolks
3 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
1 frozen pie crust

Bake pie crust according to directions.

Blend milk and egg yolks together and set aside.  In an iron skillet combine sugar, whipping cream, and butter.  Stir continuously until sugar begins to turn brown or caramelize.  Continue stirring until sugar reaches a dry consistently.  Slowly add the milk mixture to the caramelized sugar.  The sugar will appear lumpy, but continue stirring and scraping the bottom of the iron skillet.  Stir sugar until the consistently is of a pie filling. This may take at least 10 minutes.  The key is to keep stirring and don't stop!
When you reach the desired consistency, pour the filling into the baked pie crust or crusts.


The Meringue
Whisk egg whites in an electric mixer slowly adding sugar.  Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Spoon onto pies and place in oven to brown the tops.


Finished Product!  A delicious Caramel Pie!
Just like Grandma Hanna's!

Comments