Normal is Not

I wrote this article in 2017 just after my father was diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma(Bile Duct Cancer). My family was devastated, and when I penned this article I didn't realize how it is truly ageless because it still rings true during the current circumstances that we are all facing.



Normal is not. It is a useless adjective and I am aghast that it is in existence. We do not live "normal" lives. We do not have "normal" bodies.

Normal does not exist and will never exist. We are lying to ourselves everyday by believing that we lead normal lives. The morning routines of going to work and school day after day seem monotonous. The evening routines of cooking supper, reading goodnight stories, and going to sleep continue and we rely heavily on these "normal" routines.

We live in bliss; believing that nothing will change. We live as though we are in control of the world around us, forgetting Who is really in control. That moment when we buy into the fact that we are in control of our lives is the beginning of losing sight.

I am not in control of my life, my husband's life, my children's lives, my parent's lives, or even my family's lives, but I know Who is. I can not worry about tomorrow because I know Who holds tomorrow. I can not fight my battles nor my family's battles because those battles have already been fought and won. I can not carry my burdens nor the burdens of anyone else because I was not meant to carry them.

In my short 29 years on this earth one thing I know is that life can be messy so always wear your apron.

Comments