Running- More than a Hobby

It is strange because I don't believe I have ever sat down and really explained why I chose to start running and competing in triathlons. Maybe you don't care or maybe you are curious as to how and why I would stick with something for almost 18 years. You may also be searching for some type of physical activity that will improve both your mental and physical health. Here is my story. 

I began competing in triathlons when I was 14 years old. I actually met my husband, Joseph, at the first duathlon that I competed in, but that is a different story for another day.  I am 32 years old now and I still swim, bike, and run. The whole COVID-19 thing really put a damper on actually competing in any races this year, but it has not deterred me from training. 

My two sisters and their husbands also began competing in triathlons around the same time I did. It was and still is a family affair. Now, my nephews have caught the cycling and running bug. 

From Left to Right: Me (Hanna), Penny, and Chasity crossing the finish line together at the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon.

I began competing in triathlons, duathlons, and half marathons because I was the world's worst basketball and softball player. Now, don't get me wrong, I cheered my teammates on from the bench plenty, but I was terrible on the court. Just ask my former coaches. No matter how much I practiced, I was still a horrendous ball player. I played junior high basketball from the seventh grade through the ninth grade and then I quit. 

My reason for quitting was that I was not being a very good teammate. Many of my half marathons were on Saturdays and I was choosing to miss basketball games to run in the half marathons. It was my choice and I quit. My coach at the time told me I was going to get fat and overweight because I was giving up basketball. I just smiled and said, "No I won't, because I'm a triathlete and a runner." That was the ninth grade me, but now 18 years later I am still swimming, biking, and running. I guess you can look at my pictures and determine if my coach was correct or not about me getting "fat".

Quitting the basketball team was a good decision personally for me. I wasn't good at it. I put in the effort during practice and I tried my hardest, but in the end the talent was not there. Not every girl can be a WNBA player. No one at the school I attended competed in triathlons or any long distance races. I lost many friends because I spent many days and weekends training with my sisters. 


Article in the local newspaper that my future husband published about our family.



My sisters are 15 and 10 years older than me, but if you saw us or you heard us speaking with one another, you would never guess the age difference. We are extremely close and I credit that closeness to the endurance races that we have competed in together. 

We run together at least four days a week. On Saturdays, we run around 9-10 miles. I couldn't and probably wouldn't run without them. Last Saturday while running, Chasity and I got into a deep discussion about the importance of having someone to motivate and encourage you while running or competing in any type of endurance sport. I have run about 5 half marathons by myself without my sisters and they were no fun.

My best finishing times have always been when I was running with my sisters. They encourage me to keep pushing myself further. We all need someone to encourage us in life. You may not run half marathons or compete in triathlons, but you still need someone in your corner lifting you up and yelling in your ear, "You can do this, don't give up!" 



 

Comments