Smart Tips When Traveling with Children

Flying to Orlando, FL last year was really the first time Joseph and I had flown with both children at the same time. Both of our children enjoy flying, but they do not like sitting still for long periods of time. I had to come up with something for them to pass the time in the air. Then, we traveled to Ohio in the fall of last year and that required a little more planning because the drive alone was 13 hours. 

Here are some tips and must haves when traveling with children.


1. Backpacks

    Make sure each child has their own backpack or bag that they feel comfortable carrying. If you are flying with your child or children, it is vital that the backpack fits them properly and that they really enjoy wearing it. You don't want to end up having to carry the bag all through the airport. 

    My boys really enjoy having to carry something of their own like Mom and Dad. You will have your own bags to carry and naturally, your children will want to mirror you. 

2. Snacks

    Packing prepackaged, healthy snacks for a road trip and for flights is being economically savvy. Airport snacks are ridiculously expensive and stopping at every gas station makes a long trip even longer. 

    For the road trips, I usually pack a cooler with drinks and snacks. I place it in the back seat with the children so that they can easily reach the cooler. For flights, I pack the boys' prepackaged snacks in their backpacks. No open containers are allowed on the flight, but typically, the airlines serve drinks on the flight. I make sure that each child has the same amount of snacks in their backpack and the same type of snacks to insure no fights. 

3. Blanket

    I allow the children to choose a small blanket that can easily be packed in their backpack. If they are cold, they can cover up and get cozy. 



4. Small Toy

    I also allow them to choose a small toy to place in their backpack. My children LOVE stuffed animals. Those actual double as a small pillow.

5. IPad or Gaming Device

    Both of my children have IPads. My husband made sure to download plenty of games that could be played while on Airplane mode. Make sure to put the chargers in each backpack! Eli also has a Nintendo DS. He really enjoyed taking this on the plane. It is smaller than the IPad and doesn't take up as much space.

6. Coloring Book and Colors

    I placed one box of colors in each of the backpacks and one coloring book. When all else fails, they can color. 


7. Stranger Danger

    I had a "sit-down" discussion with both of the boys before we flew. I explained to them the importance of staying with Mom and Dad at all times. They seemed to understand especially when they saw how large the airport was. It was very overwhelming to them at first and they stayed right beside us from check-in through boarding. I may have scared them just a little bit about the dangers of strangers, but I'll do anything to keep my children safe. 

I hope these tips help you to plan an awesome family vacation! Please comment if you have any questions or tips that you find helpful when traveling with children. 

 

Comments