Current Spiritual Readings

Four hundred eighteen days ago I began a new journey. It began by reading the book What Would Jesus Eat by Dr. Don Colbert. Several of my Mediterranean dishes that I have shared with you were inspired from that book and Dr. Colbert's cookbook. 

I also began making time for a daily quiet time with God. I am ashamed to say this, but I had not been consistently reading God's word up until 383 days ago. Sure, I prayed and went to church and read my children Bible stories, but I did not study the Bible and I did not set aside a time in each day to spend time alone with God. 

I was running in circles around myself in both the physical and mental aspects of my life. I have always been active, but not consistent with eating healthy. I had tried a myriad of different diets and prescription medicines and I was just sick of it all. I wasn't unhappy with my life, but I knew that I needed to make some positive changes both spiritually and physically. 

In August of 2017 my dad was diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer). It was essentially a death sentence. Bile Duct cancer is a super rare cancer with only as few as 1,000 cases diagnosed in the United States each year. My dad was extremely healthy and this just seemed to come out of nowhere. The doctors said that in many cases, they are finding that cancer could be caused by preservatives found in the foods that we eat. I would like to tell you that when my dad received his cancer diagnosis that it really changed my way of thinking as far as leaning on the Lord for guidance and help, but I can't honestly tell you that my ways changed then, because they didn't. 

I had to come to the realization on my own that I needed to make time for God. I read Dr. Don Colbert's book, What Would Jesus Eat? I want to live like Jesus and act like Jesus so I have also tried to eat like Jesus. Dr. Colbert's book is a really fast and informative read. You could probably read the book in one day. It is very insightful because Dr. Colbert explains the nutritional values of the foods that Jesus ate while He was walking among us. I believe that Jesus lived a sinless and perfect life here on earth so I must believe that the food He ate was perfect for His body as well. 

While I have been doing my very best to live and eat as Jesus did, I also have been spending quiet time with God every morning. I read a devotional and scripture. I also write a journal entry every morning. Sometimes the journal entries are about my thoughts on a particular scripture verse and other times they are about funny moments with my husband and children. At the end of my quiet time, I pray. I make a list of the people that come to mind and I lift their names up to God in prayer. 

The first devotional book that I read through was Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young. This book is very popular because these are inspired from Young's personal prayer journal. 

Currently, I am reading My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. This was gifted to me several years ago while I was on a Walk to Emmaus walk. The daily readings are short, but you must know that this is not a light read. These are very deep readings and Chambers has a way of stepping on your toes. This devotional was published in the United States in 1935 and it compiles Chambers' preaching to his students and soldiers.


I am also in the middle of reading the Bible in chronological order. I downloaded an app on my phone that has daily scheduled readings so that I can read the entire Bible in one year. 



I try to have my quiet time in the mornings, before my children wake up. I grab a cup of coffee, my devotional book, Bible, and journal and spend time with God before the day begins. Your quiet time with God can be anytime of the day because if you seek Him, He can be found and He will meet you there!

The following poem speaks volumes not only about the church, but about how no matter where you are in your life's journey, God is with you. 

Church Is Hard
By Arianna Freelan
I sat in a meeting. The discussion was heated. The conversation heavy.
Hearts were burdened. 
Chests were puffed. 
Sorrow, pain, arrogance, curiosity, humility, fear, courage, and forgiveness sat together in a single room.
As I looked around the church, I just kept thinking—
Church is hard.
Church is hard for the person walking through the doors, afraid of judgment.
Church is hard for the pastor’s family, under the microscope of an entire body.
Church is hard for the prodigal soul returning home, broken and battered by the world.
Church is hard for the girl who looks like she has it all together, but doesn’t.
Church is hard for the couple who fought the entire ride to service.
Church is hard for the single mom, surrounded by couples holding hands, and seemingly perfect families.
Church is hard for the widow and widower with no invitation to lunch after service.
Church is hard for the deacon with an estranged child.
Church is hard for the choir member overwhelmed by the weight of the lyrics in that song.
Church is hard for the man insecure in his role as a leader.
Church is hard for the wife who longs to be led by a righteous man.
Church is hard for the nursery volunteer who desperately longs for a baby to love.
Church is hard for the single woman and single man, praying God brings them a mate.
Church is hard for the teenage girl, wearing a scarlet letter, ashamed of her mistakes.
Church is hard for gays, adulterers, liars, cheats, and slanderers.
Church is hard for the sinners.
Church is hard for me.
It’s hard because on the outside it all looks shiny and perfect. Sunday best in behavior and dress.
However, underneath those layers, you find a body of imperfect people, carnal souls, selfish motives.
But, here is the beauty of church—
Church isn’t a building, mentality, or expectation.
Church is a body.
Church is a group of sinners, saved by grace, living in fellowship as saints.
Church is a body of believers bound as brothers and sisters by an eternal love.
Church is a holy ground where sinners stand as equals before the Throne of Grace.
Church is a refuge for broken hearts and a training ground for mighty warriors.
Church is a converging of confrontation and invitation. Where sin is confronted and hearts are invited to seek restoration.
Church is a lesson in faith and trust.
Church is a bearer of burdens and a giver of hope.
Church is a family. A family coming together, setting aside differences, forgetting past mistakes, rejoicing in the smallest of victories.
Church, the body, and the circle of sinners-turned-saints, is where He resides, and if we ask, He is faithful to come.
So even on the hard days at church—
The days when I am at odds with a sister. When I’ve fought with my husband because we’re late once again. When I’ve walked in bearing burdens heavier than my heart can handle, yet masking the pain with a smile on my face. When I’ve worn a scarlet letter, under the microscope. When I’ve longed for a baby to hold, or fought tears as the lyrics were sung. When I’ve walked back in, afraid and broken, after walking away.
I’ll remember, He has never failed to meet me there.


Please comment or message me with any questions or suggestions on what you are reading! 

Comments