Lunch most days

 I pack a lunch every night. It is a habit that I have gotten in and maybe, I would consider it one of my better habits. I pack my children's and the hubby's lunches every night. This makes mornings a lot less hectic and I can insure that we are all getting a healthy lunch.

My go-to lunch. Salad with balsamic vinaigrette and a side of carrots.


 
I enjoy salad for lunch and the balsamic vinaigrette is super easy to make. All it consists of is olive oil and balsamic vinegar that I place in a salad dressing cup (pictured above in the orange container) and shake. I put equal parts olive oil and vinegar in the cup. This cup holds about 2 tablespoons, which I think is the actual suggested serving size of salad dressing.

According to the Mayo Clinic, the main type of fat found in olive oil is monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). These are considered a healthy dietary fat. If one replaces saturated and trans fats with unsaturated fats, such as MUFAs, one might gain certain health benefits such as lowering the risk of heart disease by improving related risk factors. For example, MUFAs have been found to lower total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels.

The Mayo Clinic warns that even though olive oil may contain healthier fats, it should still be consumed in moderation. In my cooking and baking, I still use butter occasionally, but I do try to substitute with olive oil whenever I can. 

In this particular salad above I used arugula for the salad greens. I really enjoy the taste and texture of arugula and it changes the salad up a bit instead of just using mixed greens. I added carrots, red onions, kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, and radishes. 

This salad is not only delicious, but it is super easy to whip up in a hurry. It's perfect for these hot days in Mississippi when you desire something cool and refreshing! I hope you enjoy!  




Comments