Chicken Gyros




 I love Gyros!!! I really believe it is the Tzatziki sauce that really has me going back for more though. I don't go to Sam's Club a lot, but when I do, I try to pick up Kronos authentic Gyro slices. Oh my goodness- these are DELICIOUS. You just heat the slices of meat over the stove top and then assemble your Gyro. Kronos are made with beef and lamb. Our family does not eat very much red meat and to add to the fact that I don't go to Sam's Club very often, we don't get to enjoy Gyros as much as we would like.

After doing some research, I came up with a plan to remedy this situation- Chicken Gyros. I did some tweaking to this recipe. I hope you find it as scrumptious as I did. 

Ingredients:

Chicken Marinade:
1 lb. Chicken Breasts sliced into thin strips ( I used frozen chicken strips)
3 T Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. White Pepper


Tzatziki Sauce
1 Cucumber
1 Cup Plain Organic Greek Yogurt
1 T Olive Oil
1 T Lemon Juice
2 T Fresh Dill, chopped
1 Medium Clove of Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. Salt

Gyro
Organic Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Dark leafy greens
Sliced Tomatoes
Sliced Red Onion
Kalamata Olives
Feta Cheese

Step 1: Place the chicken in a zip lock bag and add all the marinade ingredients. Mix well and marinate overnight. 

Step 2: Grate the cucumber and squeeze the excess liquid out with your hands. Place cucumber in the bowl with the rest of the tzatziki ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate covered until ready to use. 

Step 3: After the chicken has marinated overnight, cook in a large, skillet over medium-high heat. Once cooked through, slice chicken into thin strips.

Step 4: Warm the pita bread in the microwave. Add some dark, leafy greens, tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, and feta cheese. Top with the Tzatziki sauce. Fold the gyro in half and eat!

Comments