Pew Painting Project


 For as long as I can remember, this old church pew sat on my Granny and Grandaddy Johnson's front porch. It was painted brownish-red in color- not very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.  I didn't realize that it was actually a church pew until my father mentioned it to me. He offered to let me take it to my house to spruce it up and repurpose it. 

Dad let me in on the history of how his father, my Granddaddy Johnson, acquired the pew. Apparently, Granddaddy Johnson allowed some people in the community to set up a church on his and my Granny's property. After some time the church disbanded, and the people of the church offered a pew to my Granddaddy Johnson and the rest is history. 

                                                                      Before




During 

As I was painting, I noticed that someone had carved their initials into the back of the pew. This is not any of my family’s initials so it must have been done in the church. 



The almost finished product! I have a few final touches that I want to add, but I do love how this turned out! The pillows are Hearth and Hand with Magnolia and the rug is also Hearth and Hand. The paint is Benjamin Moore in the color, Graphite.

It is such a nice touch to our home and it is a wonderful reminder of my sweet grandparents. 

Comments