Take me to Tuscany

    I really enjoy traveling and this COVID-19 has put a stop to all international travel. My husband and I had planned a trip to Israel back in May, but of course, we had to cancel the trip. 

    My love for travel began when I was in the fifth grade. That year, my parents gave me the opportunity to travel to France and Spain. The next year we traveled to Germany, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. And finally in 2000, we went back to Italy and Greece. Plans were made to go to the UK in 2001, but September 11 put a stop to those plans. No one felt safe to travel. As far as feeling safe to travel, 2020 and 2001 have a good many similarities. 

    Anyway, my most favorite country that I visited was Italy. I loved their food, their clothes, their country, their history- my list could go on and on. My love of Italy is probably the reason why I can adhere to the Mediterranean diet so well. I made this Tuscan White Bean soup with Kale and Turkey the other night and it was a hit with my husband. He enjoyed it with pita bread. I hope you enjoy it too!

Tuscan White Bean Soup with Kale and Turkey

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 Cup Organic Olive Oil
1 Pound Organic Ground Turkey
1 Organic Onion, chopped
1 Organic Carrot, chopped
1 Organic Stalk of Celery, chopped
2 Cloves of Organic Garlic, chopped
1/2 Pound Organic Kale, stems removed and chopped (I just tear the leaves apart with my hands. It's easier and quicker)
4 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
1- 28 Oz. Can Cannelloni Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tsp. Rosemary, dried
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 Tsp Pepper
Kosher Salt to taste

Pita Bread
Parmesan Cheese, grated

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large soup pot, cook turkey in the olive oil on medium heat until cooked thoroughly.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Continue to saute' for another 3 minutes.
3. Add kale and saute' until the kale begins to wilt.
4. Add chicken broth, beans, rosemary and bay leaf.
5. Bring to a boil, then let simmer covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Place Pita bread on cookie sheet and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until cheese has melted. Serve on the side with the soup.



Comments