Mediterranean Lifestyle Entry 1

 

Journal Entry 1:


I have tried many “diet plans” that seem to be a cure all and promise to “melt away the pounds.” I have tried the shakes and the teas and the prescription medicine. Some did the trick and some were a complete waste of time, effort, and money.

After my father’s cancer diagnosis, I began to put more effort into eating and basically living a healthier lifestyle. My dad was diagnosed in August of 2017 with Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer). Studies have shown that this type of cancer and other types could be caused by eating processed foods. 

By definition, a processed food is a food item that has had a series of mechanical or chemical operations performed on it to change or preserve it. Processed foods are those that typically come in a box or bag and contain more than one item on the list of ingredients. And lets all be honest with ourselves, we all have eaten items that come from a box such as cereal, snack cakes, etc.

Since I was 14 years of age, I have competed in triathlons, duathlons, and half marathons. Exercising is a habit for me but eating healthy has always been a struggle. I love chocolate- need I say more? (Oreos are my weakness.) Much of my diet consists of processed foods. I eat vegetables and fruits, but much of those have been coated with chemicals to assist with a longer shelf life.

Let me stop right here and explain that I am not trying to advocate for organic foods(not that it would be a bad idea). I have decided to become more aware of what is in my foods. Not only that, but I desire to draw closer to my Lord. As a Christian, we are called to emulate Christ in our lives. We are to try every day to live as Christ lived. In every situation we should ask ourselves, “What would Jesus do?” and search the Holy scriptures for answers.

I am attempting to take it a step further “what would Jesus eat?” when He walked the earth some 3,000 years ago. Obviously, there won’t be bread prepared daily or a glass of wine at lunch, but I am going to do my best to eat as Jesus ate to draw closer to Him.

If I lose weight during this journey, great, but my primary focus is to learn more and draw closer to Jesus. Jesus lived a perfect life and I must believe that the food that He consumed was nutritious and healthy.

From much of my research Jesus ate a Mediterranean diet that consisted of bread, fish, olives, figs, grapes, etc. Lamb was eaten on special occasions. During Jesus’ time on earth, the laws of Leviticus 11 detailing clean and unclean animals were still in place. Jesus and His parents would have followed these guidelines when preparing their meals.

I do wish to take you on this journey with me. I did purchase the book, “What would Jesus Eat?” by Dr. Don Colbert M.D. He is a medical doctor who is from Tupelo, MS. I also bought his cookbook that gives some recipes to follow. I will be journaling everyday for seven days as I attempt to eat every meal as Jesus did.

Physically, I am hoping to gain energy, maybe shed some pounds, and feel better in general. For the past 7 years, I have not competed in any triathlons and I do want to start competing again. I have made goals for myself and I believe that by eating healthier will help me achieve those goals.

I know some of you are thinking, “What are you going to cook for your children?” I have actually mentioned eating like Jesus did to my children. Eli and Hub were very intrigued by the idea. Eli wanted to know if Jesus ate cinnamon rolls, but then he gave the subject further thought and exclaimed, “I really love eating fruits!” Hub was concerned that Jesus didn’t eat yogurt. Cinnamon rolls are a no, but Jesus may have consumed a type of yogurt. In summation, my children are excited about eating as Jesus ate.



Comments