Bouncing Baby Bunnies

Bugs and Sally

As a child my most favorite animal was a bunny. When I was eight years old, I was gifted a bunny as an Easter present. Of course, his name was Peter Rabbit. ( I mean, what other name would you name a rabbit?) I loved that rabbit. 

The only issue with Peter Rabbit was that I was allergic to him. Every time I held him, I would begin coughing and sneezing. I just loved that little bunny so much and I held him as long as he would allow only to start coughing and sneezing.

I guess, I am a gluten for punishment because in March of this year I purchased our two boys, Eli and Hub, rabbits. They named their new pets, Bugs and Sally. Bugs is a white rabbit and Sally is white with black spots. They are cute as they can be and loved by all. 

Gotcha day for Bugs and Sally!

Back in June, I purchased two more rabbits to add to our rabbitry. The boys named them Cookie and Peter. These are Holland Lop rabbits. Cookie and Peter are very laid back, but they do not like to be held. They enjoy lounging in their cage next to their fan and eating carrots all day. Oh, the life of a rabbit. 

Peter, our Holland Lop rabbit. You can tell he does not like to be handled.





Hub loving on Cookie

Recently, Bugs and Sally became the proud parents to 6 bouncing, baby bunnies. Now, for those of you who aren't familiar with rabbits, let me just say that it doesn't take long to get baby bunnies. Rabbits can get pregnant when they are pregnant too! These animals have a very strange anatomy, that I didn't discover until I began researching. After I figured out that Sally was pregnant, I quickly separated her from Bugs, before she became pregnant again! When the bunnies were born, they almost looked like mice. After a couple of days they started to look more like bunnies.



Sadly, we lost two of them for unknown reasons. From what I read, Mother Nature just takes care of the sick ones and there isn't really anything you can do for them. Currently, the four that are alive are bouncing and hopping everywhere. They are the cutest little animals. 

Eli and Hub love them and it has helped my husband and I teach our children the importance of responsibility. Every morning, both boys go out to feed and water the rabbits. They are beginning to understand that those sweet little bunnies depend on them to survive. 

My next hurdle to hop over will be breaking the news to the boys that we must sell the baby bunnies. Seriously, the rabbits out number the people in our house. 


Comments